the post for which i can't come up with a title

We're back from the big trip to North Carolina and I think I can safely say that a good time was had by all, at least most of the time. Hurdles we overcame:

  • BG almost didn't make it due to some work issues, but was able to pull off a spectacular save in the end and fly down to join us Wednesday morning. The jury is still out as to which distressed him more -- missing the beginning of or participating in the end of the trip. He bore it well, though, as did all of the brother's-in-law... how those guys put up with our particular brand of crazy is something that should be looked into for potential combat training. Water torture, phbtbt!

  • LG and I made the 10 hour drive in a little under 11 hours. He only puked once and I'm still not certain whether that was due to his propensity to motion sickness or because I decided to warm up my now defunct punning skills (required to carry on a conversation of any length with my father) at exactly that moment. Something about "Maury Creek" becoming "Lessy Creek" in a time of drought. Yes, I'll wait as you go wipe your mouths and rinse that foul, foul taste from it.

  • The ever-so-yummily scrumptious dinner of grilled bbq chicken, pasta salad, and baked beans that I had planned as the kick-off to our 4 day eating fest turned into microwaved bbq pork sandwich with pasta salad and baked beans when I discovered that the grills were of the charcoal variety and there were 8 hungry children to feed. Immediately. Thankfully that was the only meal I turned out to be responsible for. Hmmm, might be more to everyone leaving before I could feed them lunch on Saturday...

  • The walkers in the group (we signed up to participate in a 5K/1-mile charity event) didn't get to do their thing. For some (unfathomable) reason, the walk didn't begin until after all the runners came back in. Granted, there were few no tears as we loaded back into the cars to head home. Two minutes after the pizza arrived any residual disappointment turned to contented finger licking. Hey, I never said we were a complicated group.

  • My parents inadvertently raised a liberal. One who doesn't like guns. And since I didn't let my feelings get hurt, that conversation didn't get too far out of hand.


In the end, there were countless hugs shared, a katrillion calories consumed, at least 45 thousand new inside jokes developed, and well over 90 bazillion memories created. The whole mommy thing sort of changed the glasses through which I watched the whole thing play out and now I've got about a million bits and pieces of thoughts running through my head -- potential posts, I suppose. But first I've got a bit of a stomach issue to work through, not to mention the mountains of laundry. And then there's that pesky 100+ list of posts that I missed out on during the festivities...


.

4 comments:

Lora said...

welcome back! i laughed at the lessy creek thing.

Amy Jo said...

Glad you made in there and back on one piece! I also cracked a smile at the lessy creek joke! Must be why we all get along so well!

The Curmudgeon said...

Glad the trip went well. I'm going to guess it wasn't the pun that set off LG. Really.

susan said...

Thanks, guys. I'm trying not to beat myself up too badly -- a 10 year hiatus with only a few sporadic reintroductions to the art of punning is the excuse I'm hiding behind. That and the fact that LG just doesn't get subtle word play yet. :)