at wit's end

I think I mentioned that our daycare lady angel of mercy was put on bedrest a few weeks back. Just as a precaution... her last baby was premature, so they aren't taking any chances this time around. Time-For-Mommy Tuesdays, alas, are no more. The first couple of weeks I traded child-care days with a friend whose little boy went to the same daycare; last week she had found another, more permanent solution, so it was just LG and me.

Me and LG.

All day.

Every day.

Every minute.

Do you know how many minutes there are in a week?

Let's just leave it at this: For life as we know it to continue, pleasantly, around here, some changes are going to have to be made. That being said, I'm kind of at a loss for what that means. So I'm turning to you, "you" being defined as "anyone who has ever spent more than 10,080 consecutive minutes in a caregiver capacity with a child in the 2-3 yr age range". What do you do? Might I add that you look good doing it, whatever it is?

How does your day look? Do you know from one minute to the next where you're headed and exactly how much time you'll need to get there and what supplies you'll need to have to get whatever it is that you're doing done? Or are you a go with the flow kinda person, letting the whims of nature and the spontaneity of the weather pull you along from this to that? Or maybe somewhere in the middle -- someone who makes plans with the best of intentions but isn't really all that distraught if "this" becomes "that"? When you are with your child, is your focus solely on your child? Do you schedule in time for yourself? Does that come first or last or wherever it fits in? Is that time sacred or interrupt-able? Do you practice "benign neglect" or are you more inclined towards the idea of plenty of early exposure to all the opportunities and possibility available? Do you play with your kid at the park or do you keep your distance or are you a jack-in-the-box, up-down-up-down-up-down-up?

Most importantly, what is that one thing that makes it all worth your while to get up and face it all over again the next day? What is your secret?

I know (hope?) there isn't a one-size-fits-all kind of solution -- every child, every parent / caregiver is different. I don't expect to adopt your plan in it's entirety. I do intend to steal as many ideas from you as I can, stuff them away in a little file marked "this might work", and pull them out when my brain simply won't engage anymore. Fair warning.


.

2 comments:

Lora said...

the only thing I have to suggest it go back to school. get a job. anything. ANYTHING else.

Er, I mean. There has to be an answer to this question, but I don't know it. I can't even stand a full weekend.


We have been cutting and pasting a lot lately. Seems the boy likes to make jack-o'lanterns out of the shapes I cut from orange and black paper.

Amy Jo said...

We mostly do structure in the morning and then fly by the seat of our pants in the afternoon.

Do you have a gym or Y nearby that has baby sitting? I find that to be incredibly useful because the kids have a good time playing with other kids and different toys and as an added bonus I get a workout in. Plus it might be a good place for you to meet some other moms who might be interested in an exchange of services!