for richard

...who pointed out the irony in me posting about not being around to post for a week when it's not unusual for me to go 3 weeks without a new post. And because Dr. R has become rather insistent that I give my over-worked sense of responsibility a rest and take a little time to do something I want to do on a more regular basis. It's funny (pitiful funny, not "ha-ha" funny) how easy it is to get caught up in the have-to's and lose sight of that part of life that makes all those have-to's worth doing. But that's a post for another day. For now the plan is to try to rearrange my morning routine so that it includes some me time. Or, more accurately, me talking writing about me LG the family something. Probably some meaningless drivel, but hey, that way you know it's authentic!

So here's the rundown of the weekend:

Saturday marked the kibillionth annual extravaganza that is Family Day for the Evil Empire. We got up with God and drove to Tiburon to catch a ferry over to Angel Island. At exactly too late to turn around and go back o'clock, I remembered that we didn't have the camera. Again. So no photographic proof of this adventure. But you weren't expecting pictures, were you. Anyways, LG lurved the ferry ride watching the jelly-fish looking at the sailboats watching the little flappy-things on the top of the smoke-stack thingies and asking "Mommy, what that noisy?" over and over and over and over. A good friend sent this to me shortly after LG started developing a personality.



At the time I thought it was funny. Hilarious, even. Now I realize that it was a warning.

Anyways... So we ferried over to the island, then caught a tram from one side of the island to the other. After a thorough inspection of the nuts and bolts of our seat (aka a tram ride), we joined a zillion of our closest friends for a day of face-painting, balloon art, volley-ball, soccer, hula-hooping, playing in the sand / water before the sand castle competition, and stuffing our faces. The weather was perfect, the company was awesome, and LG fell asleep almost as soon as we got him buckled into his seat for the ride home. All-in-all, a fabulous day.

Sunday was pay-for-the-sins-of-excess-from-the-day-before-day, beginning with the ultra-fabulous get up before God to go for a 9.5 mile run. Because once upon a time someone slipped a stupid pill into my drink and then suggested that I could run a half marathon. And no one around me cared enough to point out the obvious (namely: I hate running) complications with such a plan. Want to know what it looks like when the three of us hit the running trail? Imagine a strong, lithe gazelle gracefully covering the distance between watering holes out in the unspoiled African grasslands. Pushing a jogging stroller, but strong and fluid, nonetheless. Now picture something like this trying to keep up.



And that would be me following BG and LG. On a good day. Which Sunday was not. Think a lot more sweat and a fair amount of swearing. Note to self: Run day is not a good day to skip the coffee. My run time(2 hours, 7 minutes) Ess-You-See-Kay, sucked, but I got the mileage in. And I burnt off 1387 calories. So woo-hoo, go me. Show of hands: who thinks I need to investigate a different work-out activity once this race is over?

We followed up the fun of the morning by driving down to help a co-worker of BG's load all her furniture into a big truck (read: BG helped. I "watched" LG. And tried to remember how to breathe sans asthmatic wheezing sounds.). After lunch, we drove home to get hell the optional suite ready to receive said furniture. Yep, we're embarking on the roommate journey. And Dr. R has already given me the look, so any negative comments / assvice about my mental state being in no way, shape, or form ready to take on the added stress of having another woman live in my home are unnecessary, thankyouverymuch. We'll deal. It'll be good mental strength training.

Ta-da! That was our weekend. How was yours?


.

No comments: