share:

/ʃɛər/ [shair] noun, verb, shared, shar⋅ing.
–noun
1. the full or proper portion or part allotted or belonging to or contributed or owed by an individual or group.
2. one of the equal fractional parts into which the capital stock of a joint-stock company or a corporation is divided.
–verb (used with object)
3. to divide and distribute in shares; apportion.
4. to use, participate in, enjoy, receive, etc., jointly: The two chemists shared the Nobel prize.
–verb (used without object)
5. to have a share or part; take part (often fol. by in).
6. to divide, apportion, or receive equally.
So starts a series of random thoughts, loosely linked by the above definitions so that I can just cram them all into the same post and move on with my life already...

*We just got back from my youngest sister's wedding. For us, having no pivotal part to play, it was a low-key, thoroughly enjoyable affair. All too often I get caught up in (and/or help create/feed) (unnecessary) family drama which invariably leads to a slightly bitter tinge to the memories we go home with. Not to mention the endless rehashing. Did I , should of I, how did s/he, what about when... both in my head and with the others involved until all the woulda shoulda coulda been overshadows what actually was. So the goal this time was to not to. Not to create drama. Not to feed drama. Not to imagine, indulge, engage, or otherwise invite drama. And you know what? I did a pretty damn good job of it. I took care of myself and m'boys, helped out when asked, and actually managed to keep my mouth shut the 89 million times I felt the compulsive need to raise my hand and offer "suggestions" or "volunteer" for crap that no one really needed me to do anyways. You know what else? I came home with a head full of happy, stress-free, drama free memories. And? The world didn't stop spinning. I know, right? I wasn't in control, didn't have my finger in every single pie and my sister managed to get married anyways. She even managed to looked happy! Blissful, even! And, (here's the tie-in:)I'd share all the pictures with you except I never once took my fully-charged, SD-card-purposefully-emptied-to-make-room-for-all-the-pictures-I-was-going-to-take camera out of its case. Not a single, solitary time. My only consolation is that there are at least two photo albums full of pictures that someone else took at our wedding that I think I've opened twice in the 12 years that we've been married. So it's unlikely that anyone will actually miss my nonexistant shots.

*My laptop finally bit the dust. As in showed me it's pretty blue screen o' death a total of 18 times in a row the day after I posted my last post. The maybe good but possibly not so good news is that we antied up for the whole extended warranty thingy when we bought them three years ago and we still had two weeks left before that expired when the machine expired. So I took it into the local Geek Squad and they promptly slapped a "3-5 weeks to determine if resuccitation is a possibility" sticker on it and sent it off to computer limbo. The keeping my fingers crossed for the best possible outcome news is that they may very well decide that there is nothing they can do and putting it on life support would be a waste of time so instead I'll get a credit towards something new and shiny and, if I beg and plead most prettily, Appley. The possibly not so good but maybe good news is that they might just send me a newer version of what I already had with brand new innards. The possibly bad news is that if they do that, those innards will probably be stamped with the mark of the beast "Vista" and I might have to cry. Meanwhile (tie in:) I get the pleasure of sharing Josh's possibly bad news result of a similar situation when his laptop crapped out 6 months ago, i.e. I am currently trying to figure out how to navigate the labyrinth that is the Vista operating system. So in reality, the crying has already begun. And the negotiating because OHMIGAWD, people, do you know how freaking unable to function we have both become unless there is an available laptop within arms reach at any given time? You know those people who IM and text each other when they are IN THE VERY SAME ROOM? Guilty as charged, guilty as charged.

*Somewhere somehow someone once put the notion into my head that asking little kids to share is tatamount to expecting a dog not to sniff your crotch. Someone is going to be disappointed in the end and that someone is more than likely going to be me. Not to mention the whole awkwardness of not knowing how long I have to leave that nose there before looking like a total prude but not wanting to to stay there so long that I come across as some kind of perv. So I tend to use the phrase "take turns" instead. It seems to work pretty well for us. Tell Aaron to "share" and there's a very good chance that what you will soon be sharing is a temper tantrum followed by wailing and writhing in ABSOLUTE MISERY on the floor. But he's very much into the whole taking turns thing. The boundaries are clear: Right now it's mine; in a minute it will be yours. And, truth be told, I'd much rather take turns than share. I really have very little patience for you drooling over my shoulder, trying to tell me how to do things and it makes me more than a little crazy to have to sit here and watch you do it all wrong. I do worry, though, that maybe he's missing some life lessons in negotiation and cooperation.

What do you have to share?


.

5 comments:

Amy Jo said...

I just suffered a laptop meltdown, so I feel your pain there. I was oh-so-fortunate that SOB gets something like $3500 per year to spend on 'educational materials' and computers fall into that category. Our new MacBook Pro came yesterday and I'm having difficulty not making out with it. Apple just dropped the prices on their computers pretty drastically in anticipation of the release of their new operating system in September, so you might be able to get a good deal on something. Good luck!

Talk to you thursday?

susan said...

Amy - Oh, I am soooo hoping that they will decide it just isn't worth their time and effort to fix the damn thing. Meanwhile, I'm super happy/jealous for/of you. Just typing the words "MacBook Pro" makes me drool a little. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Thursday, definitely. Can't wait!

Jacqueline said...

I'm crossing my fingers for a total kill. You really do need a Mac. Really.

Jacqueline said...

I'm REALLY glad you were there. It was really good to see you! I'm super glad that no drama happened to you. :-) I love you, sis!

susan said...

Jacqueline - We truly enjoyed our time in Dallas (*gasp!*)... seeing the two of you so happy together made it more than worth our while.

As for the Mac, thanks. I'll take all the fingers crossed I can get!!!