dear automotive shop front desk lady,

Perhaps it is the term "Stay-At-Home-Mom" that is throwing you off. So let me clarify this for you: I do NOT, in fact, simply stay at home all day. A good bit of my time is spent at home and, yes, I do tend to be responsible for the more traditional tasks often associated with motherhood -- laundry, cooking, cleaning. But my responsibilities, my job description, if you will, entails far more than simply staying at home all day everyday would allow for. And, given the location of our residence, those responsibilities require extended mobility. Extended mobility such as you might expect public transportation or a car to provide. And, since reliable public transportation is a completely foreign concept around here, we've chosen to rely on what so many others around us rely on: the family car. Which is why we've put over 45,000 miles on it, more than half of those in the last two years since we moved here. You will have to forgive my frustration, then when you blithely suggest that I might be without said reliable means of transportation for an undefined period of time.

Imagine for a moment what it would mean to your life to be confined to your home and the few places within walking distance from your home. Imagine, now, how you might feel if you were told that the term of your confinement could range from "as little as a couple of hours to as long as a week, or possibly more, I can't make any promises as we don't know what we are looking at." Further imagine that this confinement comes not as a result of any action on your part, but rather is because of action on the part of those now restricting your movements. Finally, add to that confinement the inexhaustible energy levels of a 3-year-old boy who could no more wrap his mind around the idea that the avenues that used to provide outlet for said energy are no longer viable than you could shove a lightbulb up your ass, pull it out your nose, twist it in your ear and light it up by humming the first three bars of Dixie.

Do you begin to see how this might be an inconvenience?

Sincerely,
Susan

2 comments:

Amy Jo said...

Ugh. I hate car people. They are always so vague. When we got the new van we a situation like that. Luckily, the car was new so we had some leverage and I got a free loaner. Maybe you should try some kicking and screaming?

susan said...

Tempting, very tempting...

I'm afraid I might not be able to stop myself from actually making contact, though, and then my only mode of transportation would be in the back of a black and white. So frustrating!!!!!