birthday eve

It must have been a particularly hard night. Or maybe a day filled with teething and tantrum-ing. Maybe it was one of those long winter days after the snow has turned from fluffy-white to drudgey grey. Whatever. The exact setting isn't so important. There is no need of a scene to help frame the memory.


"If we make it to five," we whispered to each other over a nodding head, eyes finally drooping in hard-fought sleep. "If we make it to five, all three of us? We can call it a success."

And, suddenly, here we are.

Five.

Almost.

Last week I went clothes shopping for him. Again. We're finally seeing enough cool days to put the short-sleeves at the back of the closet and shift the jeans to the drawer previously occupied by shorts. Josh had gone out one evening and come back with a few long-sleeved shirts and a couple pairs of pants that didn't hit Aaron mid-calf, but we were moving through that rotation faster than I could switch the laundry. So I went out shopping.

I wound up sniffling in the boys department.

Sure, I'm still looking at the XS-S's, but there was something about crossing over that aisle from toddler-to-tyke that felt like I was leaving something very special behind.

And now, here we sit, on the eve of "success".

Please understand. I don't believe for one minute that our job is done yet. I know that we've got many years ahead of us. Negotiations. Frustrations. Realizations, expectations, no-you-can't-stay-out-past-midnightizations. But in many ways, we've come to an end. Reached one of those proverbial forks in the road. It's exciting, sure, but I can't help flipping through the sepia-toned images in my mind and feeling a bit melancholy.

My baby boy,
all growed up.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

I love that little guy. You two are doing a great job with him.

Jolene said...

Aahh... they are extra precious when they are sleeping. Happy Birthday Aaron! Wish we were closer to celebrate with you. Susan, congrats on making it to 5! I'm wondering if we'll get Trevor to 5 :)

Amy Jo said...

I know how you feel. We had to start shopping in the boys department last season since Sam is so long in the torso. Happy birthday, no-longer-Little-Guy!

Lora said...

Gosh. Five. Really? I think these boys are tricking us.

I'm in the same boat as Amy Jo, that with shirts I've had to go with the XS (boy I wish I would have known he'd skip 5T when I bought about 10 5Ts on sale a year or so ago...) and it is just so, so, I don't know.

His laundry is so BIG now.

I love Aaron. And you. And that man you talk about sometimes. I love having you guys in my life for five years